There are so many reasons to love shrimp. Whether you love shrimp po'boys or a good old fashioned shrimp boil, these little guys bring big flavor. But do you know where your shrimp come from? If you're not making every shrimp dish with wild-caught American shrimp, then you may not realize the negatives behind farm-raised imported ones. At Biloxi Shrimp Co., we only sell delicious Gulf shrimp, and we're here today with 10 reasons why you should always go with wild-caught American shrimp.
- Nutritional Value: Catching shrimp in their natural habitat means they've grown up with all the nutrients they need. Wild-caught shrimp are low in calories and rich in protein, calcium and other nutrients the body needs to survive.
- Savor-Worthy Flavor: Thanks to this more natural diet, your favorite shellfish hit your plate with a fresher taste and firmer texture. Whether you prefer your shrimp deep-fried or lightly steamed, wild-caught shrimp can make all the difference in the taste of your meal.
- Low Fat Content: Farmed shrimp are raised on a fortified diet. Research shows that shrimp raised the more natural diets they develop in the wild are leaner and lower in saturated fats, making your meal that much healthier.
- Low Mercury Content: Mercury is a neurotoxin commonly found in seafood. Mercury content has been found to be the highest in large, predatory fish, such as shark, swordfish and king mackerel and lowest in small, low-lifespan fish such as crab, catfish, cod and, of course, shrimp. Eating wild-caught Gulf shrimp lets you enjoy the delicious taste of seafood with no worries about excessive mercury.
- Pregnancy Safe: Speaking of which, research has shown that it is safe to consume low-mercury seafood during pregnancy. In fact, several nutrients in shrimp are beneficial to both a mother and her baby. While it's always best to consult a healthcare professional regarding your diet, shrimp have been deemed a safe seafood to eat while pregnant.
- Low Contaminant Risk: Shrimp farms outside the USA operate under fewer health regulations, meaning they can inject a wide range of substances in their shrimp to keep bacteria, algae, parasites and disease under control. This puts your dinner at greater risk for containing potentially harmful chemicals and banned antibiotics.
- Safety Regulations: Did you know that imported seafood is tested less consistently by the FDA? Less than 2% of imported shrimp are inspected, and the FDA finds evidence of U.S.-banned substances in approximately 10% of what is tested. Fortunately, there’s no need to worry about any of that when consuming wild-caught Gulf shrimp.
- Sustainability: Many mangrove forests, salt marshes and local wildlife have been torn down to make way for shrimp farms. Meanwhile, American shrimpers are constantly developing new technologies to keep the environments of shrimp safe to ensure the safety of both the population and the environment. Purchasing wild-caught shrimp means your dinner didn't arrive at your table at the expense of natural habitats that are critical to the earth's climate and ecosystems.
- Support American Businesses: While some shrimp farms exist in the U.S., the vast majority of our farmed shrimp supply comes from abroad. The choice to buy domestic wild-caught shrimp is the choice to support American businesses. This choice benefits local economies and creates jobs for fishermen, seafood processors and other hardworking Americans.
- Peak Freshness: Our shrimp are caught wild in the Gulf of Mexico. Then, each shrimp is individually quick frozen (IQF), packaged and shipped to your home, ensuring every ounce of flavor is locked in and ready for your enjoyment. The same can’t be said for farm-raised shrimp processed under uncertain conditions and shipped across the globe to supermarkets. If you want the best flavor, go with wild-caught Gulf shrimp.
Experience Wild-Caught Shrimp for Yourself
Our Gulf shrimp come with more than just savory flavor. Our customers also receive the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly where their meal came from. All of our shrimp are wild caught in the Gulf of Mexico by American shrimpers. Our shrimp are free of antibiotics and chemicals and are carefully processed to preserve flavor. We always strive to send you the best shrimp possible. If you have any more questions about our wild-caught Gulf shrimp, contact Biloxi Shrimp Co. in Biloxi, Mississippi.